Reflection of Life
I suppose it has not hit home yet especially with all that has went on in the past couple of days.
This morning I woke up late (8:30 AM is late for me) and made myself some coffee which is rare but I don't have any more black tea to drink and began to think of calling someone. I called my Aunt Ruth, my father's sister to see how she was doing. "Did you know your Grandma Ethel died?" she asked me. I proceeded to tell her I did and told her the story of how I was intended to drive to Milwaukee and pick up my brother, have breakfast with him and then take him to the airport but it was intercepted by my Aunt Joyce (Ethel's daughter and my grandfather's step-daughter) calling me to tell me that Grandma passed away early that morning. I then thought about the obituary which may not be out right about now because funeral arrangements are in the process and I asked my Aunt Ruth how she knows and she stated, "Your sister told me. I guess her mama knows someone that knew Ethel. I am not sure. But, she is worried about you. Please call her." News flies fast in Milwaukee. Most likely because of the lower number of Black Americans that were there in the sixties and fifties all kind of knew each other some how. Not like today where there is a much higher number today from the people that moved from Chicago, Atlanta, and other places and just stayed there.
This morning I woke up late (8:30 AM is late for me) and made myself some coffee which is rare but I don't have any more black tea to drink and began to think of calling someone. I called my Aunt Ruth, my father's sister to see how she was doing. "Did you know your Grandma Ethel died?" she asked me. I proceeded to tell her I did and told her the story of how I was intended to drive to Milwaukee and pick up my brother, have breakfast with him and then take him to the airport but it was intercepted by my Aunt Joyce (Ethel's daughter and my grandfather's step-daughter) calling me to tell me that Grandma passed away early that morning. I then thought about the obituary which may not be out right about now because funeral arrangements are in the process and I asked my Aunt Ruth how she knows and she stated, "Your sister told me. I guess her mama knows someone that knew Ethel. I am not sure. But, she is worried about you. Please call her." News flies fast in Milwaukee. Most likely because of the lower number of Black Americans that were there in the sixties and fifties all kind of knew each other some how. Not like today where there is a much higher number today from the people that moved from Chicago, Atlanta, and other places and just stayed there.
Pic taken May 2003- My college graduation
I think once I go to her funeral I will be in tears. I loved this woman! She was a social butterfly who was sweet. She was the grandma that when you came to her house, she had a plate of food for you and gifts. The gifts we always got from her were great as a child it was candy or stuffed animals. As an adult it was anything from beautiful jewelry to little bags with wheels. Once I was married, even Vince got something- some dress socks. I had no idea how she knew he needed them but thank the Lord, he really did need them! My phone and in person conversations were great as she reflected about raising her children, her career, her schooling, her social life, the fun times with my grandpa and definitely her sense of style as she was truly a stylish lady! I even remember when I brought my husband to meet her for the first time. When he turned to speak to Grandpa, she would mouth the words "He is Fine" to me which made me laugh for no reason at all! Grandma Ethel, you will truly be missed and your Granddaughter Doris will be fine and continuously making you proud! Please hug my mommy for me! You are with her.

Comments
Post a Comment