How Doula Do? Part 2
This week is the week of searching for a doula. I thought that if I hugged the woman that she was the one. I never knew it would be slightly difficult.
1. I went on doulamatch.net to look for a selection of doulas. This website was highly helpful because it gave you the radius of where they lived, what their fees are, their certification, a picture, what hospitals they have been, additional services, etc. This was helpful since I did not have to ask too many questions.
2. I have been lurking on that website for about two to four weeks. A little skeptical about the website.
3. FINALLY!! Two weeks ago I spotted one I couldn't pass up and sent her a message through doulamatch.net. Then, I found another. I set up appointments once my husband returned into town.
Tuesday- met with the doula #1. She has been in the business for two years. She has had several births assisted at our birthing center and enjoys the midwives. She seemed nervous but highly knowledgeable. She also knew about the book "Spiritual Midwifery" and was all about holding off surgery and trying to get me to labor on my own with support.
Wednesday- We met with doula #2. She has been in the business for five years and teaches birthing classes. She has worked with our midwives before but has not actually been to our birthing center. She was bubbly and bright. She had a theory of "go with the flow" which is a great tool to have. This doula was closer to our home and could get there faster.
So, Wednesday night we had a very tough decision to make. We actually really liked BOTH of them! They both had great credentials. Vince thinks they sound the same in how they would assist me. I was so torn! These are some amazing ladies but we had to make a decision. We made out decision based off some really minor differences:
1. Price- Doula #2 was a little more money than the first one
2. Exposure to the birthing center- We need someone that is familiar with the birthing center
3. What the midwives think- They like both of them so they left the decision up to us
We ended up going with doula #1. She is further away from us but we are expecting a long early labor. I just hope we are not shooting ourselves in the feet.
Now, just getting the money together to pay her and set up a breastfeeding class. We are getting slightly busy with everything coming up. (baby showers, maternity photos, nursery work, birth plan creation, etc.) Please pray for us that we get it all in on time!


Comments
Post a Comment