My Rapid Birth Story

* I have no photos due to time constraints*
   Something didn't feel right. About 4AM on a clear, dark October 9th morning I felt a pull or something give way and I felt like I urinated just a little in my pad. I got up to use the bathroom and thought, "Man, I peed on myself. Wait. . .oh no." As soon as I sat down on the toilet I had a feeling that I used to get a long time ago. . .mild cramping to symbolize that I was about to have my menstrual cycle. This time, it wasn't a menstrual cycle cramp. Vince woke up and asked me if I was okay. I told him that I think my water just broke but I wasn't sure. As soon as I told him that another contraction came and it was not as intense as the first but it came within a five minute period. I was in denial as I told him let's wait. He didn't want to wait. I prepared myself for a shower in order to ease my muscles as I started the water, another contraction hit. In between my deep breaths I told him to call Maura- our doula. When he called her he explained how I had a few contractions that I was actually feeling. She told him that I needed to go to the hospital right away. I got out of the shower and tried to pick out clothes in between contractions. The contractions were closer and closer together. Once out of the shower something new. . .the desire to push. I didn't say anything but Vince was moving so fast and I kept requesting items you would need for a longer birth but here I was already pushing. He looked over at me and said, " I will have you there in 20 minutes." And the hospital is roughly about 40 minutes from our home. ( smart move thinking I would be a person in long labor and registered for a hospital outside of the county I reside in.)
   While he drove I finally came clean that I was trying my hardest not to breathe through the pain but instead trying to pant like a dog in the hot sun because I was pushing within each contraction. It alarmed me so much I never noticed any pain from the contractions or the pushing. He must have ran two red lights and drove on the freeway like a bat out of hell but it was almost 5AM and the traffic was still clear.
   20 minutes we did get to the hospital but in this birthing center you have to be buzzed in. I repeatedly pushed the button and of course I was on hold until a nurse could answer the phone. I had a contraction and another urge to push while holding. "Hello. Nurse." she said.
"Open the door! I am in labor!" I yelled in between panting.
"Ok. Let me get a nurse to meet you at the elevator."
She opened the door and I waddle walked fast in with Vince by my side. I held on to him and another contraction came with the urge to push. This time, I felt like I either did #2 in my pants or I was crowning. That ring of fire thing. . . not sure it was true because I was determined to have this baby not in the car, not in the lobby of the East Entrance of the hospital but the actual hospital. I got so annoyed I pushed the button to call for the elevator. We got in. Vince looked at me worried as I told him I think I feel the baby's head in between my legs or pelvis. Somewhere in there, I was not sure because I kept trying to think of ways to NOT push. We got off the elevator and as we walked up to the birthing area the doors opened and the nurse who was supposed to meet us down in the lobby area was there. "Well, you saved me a trip." she said playfully. I nodded my head and said, "Glad we did. Let's get this going I swear I am crowning right about now." I said hastily but kindly. She walked us into a labor and delivery room and was accompanied by another nurse. "Go ahead and take your pants off." She said to me as she lowered the labor bed. I jumped on the bed so fast as Vince rapidly took off my leggings. I buried my head in the pillow as another contraction came. Vince stood there and had a sick look on his face. I didn't realize it but I had pooped a little. Vince rubbed my back and I groaned with an open mouth into the push and I looked at Vince, "I feel a little better." Little did I know the second nurse ran out of the room screaming, "We need a doctor in here. . .NOW!!!" She ran back in and I heard her say, "Just one more push honey and your baby is fully out." I took a deep breath in and pushed. I turned around ( I was on my hands and knees birthing.) and there I saw a little person screaming to the world, "Hey, what just happened?"
His outfit that I thought would fit.
   Introducing, Jonathan Vicente Fregoso- Born 5:15AM on Wednesday, October 9th
Weight: 8lbs 7oz Length: 21"
Taken 5 minutes after birth by doula

We are still overwhelmed that we are parents mainly too because it went so fast but may be it was because I endured the longest early labor ever! I would love to sit here and tell you we took to parenting like a fish to water but not necessarily. In the time that follow my two minute labor in the hospital the doctor came in and stitched me up and guided me to delivering the placenta. I had Jonathan placed on my chest and let him feed before delivering the placenta which took all but an hour. Vince cut the cord and the doula arrived shortly after the doctor did and took the placenta and stayed with us for two hours as she reported this was the fastest labor she has had. . . and she missed it. Apparently, I still didn't realize what happened to me because I didn't realize I tore, the delivery of the placenta didn't hurt and the lidocane they inject you with didn't hurt either. Nothing hit home until I got home. . . more on this soon. Now, must feed my little one as it is day four and if you have given birth and breastfeed you know what that means!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS