Breastfeeding and Breast Cancer Awareness

This month says it all. . .October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
   If you personally know me you know my story with Breast Cancer. I guess you would call me a secondary victmn as I lost my mother from Metastasis from Breast Cancer back in December 2011. Here are some things that you may not know about my mother and her fight with breast cancer:

1- It was not hereditary! My grandmother is in her early eighties and still have both her breasts in tact. My great grandmother died from heart disease when I was five years old. Will I still get regular check-ups- you bet!

2- My mother had children! Well, of course if she is my mother. This supposedly protects you from breast cancer

3- My mother did not smoke.
Mommy and I at my Chiropractic graduation


I think that is about it. How did she get breast cancer- she was under a lot of stress! This is where I try to educate and talk to people about breast cancer. She was someone who was at least risk for breast cancer and it ended up taking her life. Actually ending her life shorter than it should have been. My mother was vibrant and looked twenty years younger so this should not have happened but stress seems to be the largest factor now in women. We are strong and we have children but how strong is our immune systems? Apparently, not as strong as some of our wills. My mother gave up at the end and that is something I really did not wish that she did. I wish she would have fought because she would have been able to see so much. She would have seen her second great grandson. She would have also seen her beautiful grandson Jonathan.
Being lulled to sleep on the glider
With October comes Breast Cancer Awareness Month which hits a nerve to my past but then again it hits my present as well as my future. I am currently a breastfeeding mama! Which I am still in awe that I am literally a "human cow" to say the least. He "eats" and goes right to sleep after. To soothe him if I ran from him too long I do a series of goofy songs and dance with him in my arms. Most the time he looks at me like, "You are crazy woman!" but it stops him from crying so I can give him what he wants. . .my breast. He doesn't like his diaper changed either but he is a week and a half and he has lost the last of his cord from his little tummy. Something even luckier- he lost it at his first doctor's appointment. The doctor totally got to see how we interact with our son even down to Jonathan peeing all over daddy's arm. (At the time of the appointment Jonathan was only five days old.)

Books Reading
   Of course I have breastfeeding and post-partum books! Two were given to me from my niece at one of my baby showers which I appreciate- how did she know I love to read? Two books are borrowed from my doula and were supposed to be read by the time I was emancipated from the hospital but I finished off all my other pregnancy books while in there I started on one breastfeeding book but not the other. I still have not begun to read it but will be getting to them. 
 This had to be the first book that I took a look at. I am so glad I did as it highlights co-sleeping as well as the proper way to latch and the different breastfeeding positions. I might have to purchase this myself so I can have it as a reference when it is time to wean him when that time comes. Knowing me I most likely won't remember this book at all.
This book has more so been a reference book for Vince and I. We really haven't dove into this book yet but it looks to be a good read. Breastfeeding, bathing, crying, jaundice, clipping fingernails- you name it, it has it which is great for new parents like ourselves. Will have to comment on this later.
Also, I have just skimmed through this book. This along with the prior book was given to me by my niece. It has the proper latch technique in it but it is a book about breastfeeding. Not too exciting to me because there is nothing special about it.
Will get back to you on this one. I think I read one section. Guess I should have postponed this entry on breastfeeding until later but not really. Will add more about what I have been doing while breastfeeding. I will tell you this, it really helps to bring that tummy in as I now look like I am 0-3 months pregnant now. Getting a postpartum support piece helps a little more but I have been having an itchy stomach which I see some stretch marks trying to emerge. I have been lathering shea butter into it twice daily. Has been keeping them light and barely noticeable so score! Will post again tomorrow if I can. . .hubby is hungry and baby will be up soon to feed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS