Books Worth Reading- Girlfriend Approved


You know how you first find out you are pregnant you have to go crazy at Barnes and Noble? Well, if you didn't I just told on myself. I didn't know what book to get as when you get to that section there are SOOOOOOOO many books to look at, read and take in.

So, my first recommendation to you is this one thing. . . NEVER GET YOUR HUSBAND A BOOK!!! I should have took that $12 and got myself a nice outfit at the consignment store because while I am halfway through some pretty lengthy books he is on page 16 of "Your Pregnancy for the Father to Be". If they had a DVD or something that told men what they should be doing and presented it like a Sporting event or like an action movie then I say buy that and put the movie in and let him watch. Although, you may not have a husband like mine so go for getting him a book- I don't really have a recommendation for it though or if your partner is an understanding individual or intuitive like a female partner disregard this paragraph. You are five steps ahead of me.

I would NOT recommend that you read as many books as I do. I am a slight bit neurotic and I love reading when I have the opportunity. If you lived in my home you could catch the light on and a book in my hands with me sleep. (This has happened so much more during pregnancy.)

Here are the books that I have read (Actually, I am still reading many of them.)
1. Spa Mama

This book is on the top of the list because I bought this first. I saw a store closing when I first moved into my neighborhood and bought it in case I get pregnant. I have borrowed this book to other people and once I got pregnant I went searching for it. This book contains little health tidbits and recipes on how to make belly casts, massage tips and what not. Would I recommend this to be the only book you purchase? Nope, you would have to buy another book. It does not give you the dirty and nitty gritty of pregnancy like all the tests you will have to take or what you should and should not be eating. It kind of skims it. Great cutesy reading though.

2. Your Pregnancy Week by Week
Most likely, if you have friends that have had babies within the past five years you most likely saw this book before. I got it from Barnes and Noble because I liked the exercises at the end of each week. If you are sensitive of heart and don't want to hear about Trisomy 21 or Stillbirths this may not be the book for you. It does have the feeling that you are being bugged about nutrition every week. Other than that, it is pretty standard and lays it out pretty well of each week but if there is a question you may have you may have to skip over some chapters to find it. That I did not like very much. Also, being a doctor myself much of this is a skim over so if you are a health professional I would not recommend this book. If you are a 20 year old college female that has no idea where to begin I would highly recommend this book.

3. The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
This book was recommended to me by. . . interestingly enough a girlfriend of mine. She is a nurse practitioner who I called while only being five weeks pregnant freaking out about what book to get. It actually set my mind at ease because the author sounded like a girlfriend of mine. She had great ideas on kegal exercises which I have been using religiously since I picked up the book. I am almost done reading it and all of a sudden, I can not find it so on the hunt for this book so I can finish it off. One thing I did not like about this book: Ms. Iovine is not a fan of exercise during pregnancy. Why wait until you have the baby to be healthy? Luckily my pregnancy has been cravings of mostly veggies and fruits and once in a while the naughty stuff so my weight gain has been normal. Everything has been fine and healthy and I would like it to stay that way as I prepare for labor and I am sorry but exercise takes a big part of that. 

4. What to Expect When You Are Expecting

This book is actually one a friend gave me to borrow. I have not really read it but I read hints of it and this copy is a little dated. If you are a 20 year old girl who knows nothing about having kids this may be a good book for you. Not much to discuss about this since I read about three to four chapters about this and got bored.

5. Spiritual Midwifery

If you are wanting a more natural childbirth experience this is a great book. It is all about childbirth and how it can be more of a spiritual experience instead of a terrifying and painful experience. The assistants at my office call it the, "hippie book" as it is loaded with info of how natural childbirth can be an uplifting and life changing experience. Loaded with stories of women who successfully and unsuccessfully brought life upon this world. This book was recommended to me by another friend who said she read the book twice and loved it! She even stated that her birthing experience was amazing. I highly recommend this book as before you go through the birthing experience you must read these tales and realize that it will be painful but become open and it can be an experience.

6. Mama Glow

Latham Thomas is a doula and was featured in "Tia and Tamera" one of my fave (and only) reality TV shows. I actually love this book! It is loaded in yoga sequences depending on your trimester. It has tons of recipes! There are checklists for important items and where you can get forms and other info from the website. I highly recommend this book as well! Don't believe me? Check out her website at www.mamaglow.com

Hope those help. Now, excuse me while I take a nice warm relaxing bath.
Here I am at 28 weeks. I am getting up there right?
Hubby was tired of taking pictures of me so while I was running to work I just snapped this photo. 29 weeks in this pic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS