Moon Cycle Product Review

*warning, we are talking about having your period so avoid this post if you don't want to hear about it.*
https://www.womensvoices.org/2020/02/28/wait-what-now-there-are-phthalates-in-tampons-and-pads-too/


Yeah, I may be "old" and "worn out" from childbirth but there is always a great time to talk about the good old menstrual cycle. I am have been around the block when it comes to this topic because of course, it has been going on 30 years since menarche (side note: menarche is the term in relation to a female's first menstrual cycle. Continue with your program.) but due to many, many, many, factors, I can relate to just about everyone when it comes to this topic. I mean, Aunt Flo is the reason I became a vegetarian. I am going to break this down in phases and deliver the "goods" in between.

Phase 1- Menarche to 29 years old- The Rough Years


I really thought I was an infertile beast during this time that most likely would die in her apartment and get eaten by wild dogs. My mother explained that she had a terrible cycle complete with all the bells and whistles that came with a terrible ride on the crimson wave. She told me, "I used to lock myself away in my bedroom and no one would speak to me. It ended when I had kids." Ok, she was 19 when she had her first kid. I was not about to go that route- I didn't even want kids then! ( Sorry kids if you actually read this in the future.) So, I did what any person would do and deal with it. I keep a stock of pads and tampons. My ex-fiance brought me a huge box filled with Tampax tampons that I used until right before my 28th birthday. (I had them for ten years!)
-horrible cramps that had me bent over in pain
-a flow so heavy- let's just leave it there
-inconsistent cycles. I once went for 4 months without a period. Lucky me, I was still a virgin.
I took Aleve day one, drank some tea, and passed out for about 6 hours. Yup, so was life then. Grrr!

Phase 2- 30- 33 years old- Baby Vegetarian


I became a vegetarian just to try it out. What do you know! I have a normal 30-day cycle with mild to no cramping and decreased flow. Too bad that lasted for about 3 years. I got knocked up and knew early on due to the consistent flow being interrupted. At the time, I was still wearing pads and tampons.

Phase 3- 34-36 years old- Nursing and IUD years


Light flow? I'm all on board! I had an IUD inserted after my son was born and man, was it smooth sailing! No cramping. This is the phase I began to experiment with- reusable pads. SO awesome! So eye-opening! So. . . aw, nuts- I removed the IUD and got pregnant again within three to four months.

Phase 4- 37-present- The Mature Years


I can do this. Wait, my reusable pads don't work anymore! HELP ME INTERNET WORLD!

So, here we are. I wanted to get some more products and give reviews but since this is not a very popular blog in internet world those of you ladies and gents that are tuning in are in for somewhat of a treat. I believe I did a post earlier about this but this is the remix. Here ya go!

Reusable Pads


Glad Rags was my first experience into the world of cloth pads. I went to the local Whole Foods and purchased a box of regular. The experience was freeing but I did not know you had to put the two inserts in before snapping them around the panty. I recommend them for light to medium flow because that is what I used. They do have heavier flow available. Click here for the website

Party in My Pants was the second one up and they were larger and a little cooler. I also bought them at Whole Foods. (You can check out and see if they have them there but I doubt it.) I purchased overnight and heavy. Should you need a larger size they are available on their website. I do recommend checking out how to wash these guys because after three years they stop working and making me do more work cleaning. https://partypantspads.com/

I have tried some disc in the past and had a heavy flow- wasn't a good look. I got to say.

The New Guys on the Block

I am currently working my way back to reusable pads and products because not only do I like helping the environment but I also like to think that my DNA is not just lying around in a landfill somewhere. I have always questioned Always pads and Tampon brands as to why do they have to be so damn. . . white. What is going on that they have to be that way? Nothing against the color but bleaches and all have to be somewhat irritating to the lady bits. I also questioned baby powder back in the day so there ya go.
So, last moon cycle in a desperate attempt to get something because I ran out of my terrible Poise Pads. (I was still using those after baby #2- Pad cycles please refer to a postpartum post I did.) Going into a random store- a Kroger store I found Cora Pads . . . 
Sorry, I got kids and the box took a beating. I tried them at the end of my cycle when it was light and they were fine. Very thin. Like they were not there. Now, I have been on the fence of other products to use and I was going to order Ruby (https://www.rubylove.com/period-underwear ) but Aunt Flo came a little early this month. . . like three days early. Like, TODAY!! Errg! I should have ordered them last week! No worries. . . what is at the store. . . 

Ok. I think we can work with that. So, Flex is another product that is making headlines. The company is based in Canada and one thing I hated back in phase 1- DISCS!!! I did not have to read instructions, I knew how to insert them but I am not sure that I placed them on the right side so we will find out as I will post about this in a few days. Wish me luck!

(Also, RubyLove is period panties. Will rave about that one later.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS