Prep, plan and prepare- The Race to Birth
I have been there before with the prep, plan and prepare for a smooth birth. I should know what to do. Somehow, I feel like a first time mom with my prepping. This is mostly due to the fact of my 3 1/2 week pre- hospital stay. So, here is my new timeline:
This week: set up appointments with Ob/Gyn for the "just in case" time. Get addresses when birth announcements are sent out. ( this time, I might really do it.)
Next week: Get hospital bag ready! Begin searching for music for playlist for birth. Time to work on my "post preggie pops"
In two weeks: Prep for my gf's to visit and sprinkle me with a few needed items. Get more post partum items ready for me and "Baby II"!
Hospital Bag
Checking out the lists that I see for hospital bags and I had to remember that I threw out all my "weekender" bags. No worries! JC Penney has a online $29 deals for some of their bags. If you live close to a JC Penney that is not closing it might be a good idea to pick one up.
1. charger cords- we have those but stores like CVS, Walgreens and Duane Reade they are about $8 as I heard from my gf who needed one for her tablet- FAST!
2. Warm, cozy socks- I have my Bears socks but I might find it as a way to do a much needed splurge and get another pair. I saw a few on sale at Kohl's but not sure how much they cost.
3. Nursing bra- Still checking out the sales scene for a better deal. I have seen $30-$40 for one.
4. Maternity clothes including labor gown- Let me see what I have in my older maternity stash. I believe I have a gown already which will save me money. Maternity clothes are pricey and I have tried the whole, "Second Hand " stores and they are in ritzy neighborhoods and still pricey.
5. Going home outfit for baby- I got the baby's outfit early on. Great deals I found at Carter's a while back and I even got J some great clothes for when he meets his little sibling.
6. Still getting this together
The reason why is because I have three lists in front of me of what to bring. Overly researching this time around has been more anxiety than excitement. I have the list from "Mama Glow", one I picked up off pinterest, the hospital provides a list and I think that is it.
OMG! This woman looks so put together. This must be her first baby. The bed is all perfectly made, she has on a stunning maternity dress and she has a relaxed smile on her face. Yeah, ain't me bro! Ain't me. ( photo from Parents.com)
Doula, Doula, Do we do it again. . .YES!
This time, I think I need more post partum support. Sadly, my doula I had with the boy is not available as she is on to bigger and better things. I am so happy for her. She started a doula company and is soon going to graduate school to be a nurse midwife which made me change midwives and hospitals in order to (hopefully) have her at my birth. I checked out her doula website and it seems very nice and the main office is in downtown. Then, I looked at the cost. . .
OH CRAP!!!
Just getting laid off from a job, you do NOT wish to see a $2,000 bill for labor support, placenta encapsulation, belly binding as well as extra post partum support. I had enough money saved for two month worth of bills and if the doula was going to be around $1,000 like last time. Oh no! I still tried to see if I could interview with the ladies and I was doubting it because I knew if I met them I would love them and just stop grocery shopping and delay some bill payments in order to make it work. Then, I went back to doulamatch.net.
If you have been following me since 2013, you will know I went there and found my first doula there and never looked back. Well, I peeked again and found one doula that stood out.
- 21 years in the business
- much lower costs
- does placenta encapsulation, belly binding
- lives 15 minutes away from me
- knows about hypnobirthing
- is very familiar with the new hospital I am delivering in
So, I contacted her because everything inside of me needed to contact her. I cancelled my appointment with the former doulas and signed up for her after her interview. She was prepared, nurturing and showed us great labor poses to get both hubby and I ready as well as bring dolls to go over infant CPR which is great because I needed a refresher. We also helped the boy with how to hold a new baby. We talked as if we were old friends just rekindling. Her price? So much lower than the other and she visits the house once a week before the baby comes. She texts me daily to see how I am feeling and my son adores when she comes by. One thing checked off the list and 4 more weeks to go before this baby gets here!
It does feel like a race to birth but I am getting prepared when I can. We got 9 more cloth diapers as we are going to go full cloth diaper with this baby and getting my mother in law more and more involved. If we do get reusable diapers it is because this baby will be watched by people outside our little circle. I still have to look up half day programs for the boy to be involved in during the summer so I can have time to personally bond with baby.
To note- I got the baby's leggins and now I am excited.
This week: set up appointments with Ob/Gyn for the "just in case" time. Get addresses when birth announcements are sent out. ( this time, I might really do it.)
Next week: Get hospital bag ready! Begin searching for music for playlist for birth. Time to work on my "post preggie pops"
In two weeks: Prep for my gf's to visit and sprinkle me with a few needed items. Get more post partum items ready for me and "Baby II"!
Hospital Bag
Checking out the lists that I see for hospital bags and I had to remember that I threw out all my "weekender" bags. No worries! JC Penney has a online $29 deals for some of their bags. If you live close to a JC Penney that is not closing it might be a good idea to pick one up.
1. charger cords- we have those but stores like CVS, Walgreens and Duane Reade they are about $8 as I heard from my gf who needed one for her tablet- FAST!
2. Warm, cozy socks- I have my Bears socks but I might find it as a way to do a much needed splurge and get another pair. I saw a few on sale at Kohl's but not sure how much they cost.
3. Nursing bra- Still checking out the sales scene for a better deal. I have seen $30-$40 for one.
4. Maternity clothes including labor gown- Let me see what I have in my older maternity stash. I believe I have a gown already which will save me money. Maternity clothes are pricey and I have tried the whole, "Second Hand " stores and they are in ritzy neighborhoods and still pricey.
5. Going home outfit for baby- I got the baby's outfit early on. Great deals I found at Carter's a while back and I even got J some great clothes for when he meets his little sibling.
6. Still getting this together
The reason why is because I have three lists in front of me of what to bring. Overly researching this time around has been more anxiety than excitement. I have the list from "Mama Glow", one I picked up off pinterest, the hospital provides a list and I think that is it.
OMG! This woman looks so put together. This must be her first baby. The bed is all perfectly made, she has on a stunning maternity dress and she has a relaxed smile on her face. Yeah, ain't me bro! Ain't me. ( photo from Parents.com)
Doula, Doula, Do we do it again. . .YES!
This time, I think I need more post partum support. Sadly, my doula I had with the boy is not available as she is on to bigger and better things. I am so happy for her. She started a doula company and is soon going to graduate school to be a nurse midwife which made me change midwives and hospitals in order to (hopefully) have her at my birth. I checked out her doula website and it seems very nice and the main office is in downtown. Then, I looked at the cost. . .
OH CRAP!!!
Just getting laid off from a job, you do NOT wish to see a $2,000 bill for labor support, placenta encapsulation, belly binding as well as extra post partum support. I had enough money saved for two month worth of bills and if the doula was going to be around $1,000 like last time. Oh no! I still tried to see if I could interview with the ladies and I was doubting it because I knew if I met them I would love them and just stop grocery shopping and delay some bill payments in order to make it work. Then, I went back to doulamatch.net.
If you have been following me since 2013, you will know I went there and found my first doula there and never looked back. Well, I peeked again and found one doula that stood out.
- 21 years in the business
- much lower costs
- does placenta encapsulation, belly binding
- lives 15 minutes away from me
- knows about hypnobirthing
- is very familiar with the new hospital I am delivering in
So, I contacted her because everything inside of me needed to contact her. I cancelled my appointment with the former doulas and signed up for her after her interview. She was prepared, nurturing and showed us great labor poses to get both hubby and I ready as well as bring dolls to go over infant CPR which is great because I needed a refresher. We also helped the boy with how to hold a new baby. We talked as if we were old friends just rekindling. Her price? So much lower than the other and she visits the house once a week before the baby comes. She texts me daily to see how I am feeling and my son adores when she comes by. One thing checked off the list and 4 more weeks to go before this baby gets here!
It does feel like a race to birth but I am getting prepared when I can. We got 9 more cloth diapers as we are going to go full cloth diaper with this baby and getting my mother in law more and more involved. If we do get reusable diapers it is because this baby will be watched by people outside our little circle. I still have to look up half day programs for the boy to be involved in during the summer so I can have time to personally bond with baby.
To note- I got the baby's leggins and now I am excited.

Comments
Post a Comment