World Breastfeeding and Why I Still Breastfeed



Family Portrait October 9, 2014


This is a picture of my son on his first birthday last year. I never sent out these pictures as I should have. They are simply beautiful. I guess I am selfish. If you notice, he is nursing. The photographer thought it would be a great idea to take pictures of his "nurseversary". So, my husband and I were completely comfortable getting pictures shot as my son was nursing in the middle of a pumpkin patch in the 70 degrees and sunny day in October.
We were actually having a conversation but I can not recall the topic.

My son is currently 22 months going on 23 months. I still breastfeed on demand. I have had some issues with selected friends and family even to the point where my own brother has called me "stupid". I have been told that I do it because I "get off" on him at my breast. I have been told it is disgusting. It has affected me because I am very much a softie on what people say about me this I will not deny. ( hence the reason that only one or two people will take a peek at this blog and it is not because I don't want people to but I am very much that person that has her heart on her sleeve.) Now, I have this stigma on nursing him in public. One, he is taller than the average 22 month old. He has been assumed to be two for months. I hear many people tell me they don't mind and even at friends houses if he wishes to nurse I will slip off into a basement, bathroom or a bedroom. I do this around kids just in case they ask their parent about it. I think I am being courteous but really, I feel like I am degrading myself to please others. I am not the outspoken one to tell you, "If you don't like it go somewhere else! My kid needs comfort!"

I don't wag my head at mothers who can not nurse. I don't shame mothers that use formula. I do shame the mothers that give their kids soda when they are a baby because I personally think that we as adults shouldn't even drink that but that is a different crusade. We are all different and some moms had kids that self weaned at early ages. Who am I to judge? I try my hardest not to judge other mothers but please don't judge me and my decisions. There are a lot of reasons why I still breastfeed and why I will not stop until after my son's second birthday.

1. The rapid growth of the human brain slows down around Three Years Old
   Breastmilk is loaded in omega-3 which is what that rapidly growing mind needs. He currently is speaking three and four word sentences. My son speaks English and Spanish and is concurrently learning both as I am fine tuning my Spanish and my mother in law watches him while hubby and I work and she speaks only Spanish. He counts, sings, knows his ABC's ( in english only), colors, animal sounds, and shapes. That is a lot for a young mind to learn. Miayim Bialik's son weaned at 3 1/2 which according to this stat is about right.

2. Historically, human children weaned between the ages of 2-7 years old
   This is still prominent in third world countries. Am I saying that my son will be 6 and breastfeeding? I highly doubt this idea.

3. Breastfeed infants and toddlers have less ear infections.
   My son has never had an ear infection in comparison to myself who had multiple ear infections from infancy to two years old. I know that I had many ear infections because my mother was a mild hoarded and remember my childhood seeing prescription medication in the medicine cabinet from when I was two. I was weaned at 3 1/2 months.

4. Breastfeed infants and toddlers have less colds
   Teething seems to be the only time when my son gets sick. Other than that he is happy and healthy. I got sick frequently as a child. Who gets chicken pox twice in their childhood years? This girl right here. I wonder if that makes me exempt from shingles. . . 

5. Children that were breastfeed to later ages have better social skills
   I can't vouch for this one but he gets shy but later talks to people and dances and smiles. He is a bit of a flirt but I think that is just baby boy nature. He does display some stingy and selfish skills but he is quite understanding when we explain things to him as to why he should share.

6. Breastfeeding is nurturing and comforting
My son is a toddler. He screams, throws tantrums and gets angry. All that baby rage seems to melt away when he is at my breast. He looks down as if he is still angry but eventually he looks up with dilated pupils and soft eyes and all that happened seems to be forgotten. In new places with tons of people he needs to nurse. He increases his demand for nursing when he is teething as nursing seems to decrease his pain. He wants to nurse when he has taken a tumble. I guess it is like mama kissing the boo boo to make it better.

7. Bonding
   I love that I still have this relationship with him before he can say, "I hate you!" 

8. My vacation from the world
   I sit back and let him nurse. While this occurs, I can not get on the computer or talk on the phone. Just me and my thoughts. I think this mini vacation of all things adult keeps me stable.

9. Weight control
 This is rather selfish but I am smaller now than I was before I got pregnant. I still work out but not with as much intensity. I will go back once he is weaned because I really do miss the hot yoga classes and running for long periods of time.

10. So much more!
  During his nap time, the house is quiet. Sometimes classical music is playing. He is wiggling around and putting his elbow in my stomach. He eventually looks up at me and I see his eye lids getting heavy. His wiggling slows. He looks into my eyes as he eventually goes to sleep. He looks so peaceful in my lap and I constantly am amazed that something so beautiful came from me and I thank God for this precious treasure. He is half sleep still nursing and once his mouth stops moving I remove the latch and put him in his toddler bed. But that is if I have not fallen asleep as well. This makes all I do worth it and I would not change my decision for anything in the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS

What Many Don't Know

Reflection of Life