A Yummy Lactation Recipe

Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Lactation Muffins


Ingredients
2 cups of Oatmeal ( I have tried both rolled oats and steel cut oats)
2 cups of unbleached white flour ( I have also used spelt flour and they came out just as good)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Right Stuff 6 grain Hot Cereal- with flaxseed
2 Tbsp Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
5 tsp brewers yeast
4 tsp flaxseed meal
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Milk ( use whatever milk alternative- I use Almond milk for baking)
1/2 cup cooking oil ( I actually used olive oil)
1/3 cup honey
1pkg of chocolate chips
(nuts optional- I am thinking of putting macadamia nuts in the next batch I make. I love nuts! LOL!)

1. In a large mixing bowl STIR together the oats, flour, sugar, 6 grain Hot Cereal, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, brewers yeast and flaxseed meal.
2. In a medium bowl, COMBINE AND WISK eggs, milk, oil, and honey.
3. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture
4. Stir and while stirring add chocolate chips until the mixture is moistened. You can mix then add chips
5. Line muffin pan with paper bake cups; fill 2/3 full
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until done ( do the toothpick test- stick a toothpick in and pull it out to see if any batter comes out on the toothpick. If batter comes out it needs to bake a little longer. If not, it's done!)
7. ENJOY!!!

I went back to the hospital where my son was born and brought these. They were a hit! Many people didn't even know about lactation muffins. I created this recipe from another one. (There was a recipe for  Whole Grain Fruit Muffins. I added some ingredients and took away some.) I used to make this when I worked full time and would lack on making milk. I made these in order to keep my milk supply high. I add a little more brewers yeast than standard lactation cookies because well. . .they are muffins and not cookies which is more. In the picture above I didn't have chocolate chips but chocolate chunks. Also, they are made with spelt flour so if yours don't look exactly like this you know why.


Happy World Breastfeeding Week!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS