Whole Foods in a Pregnancy and Update
I did a prior post for healthy foods and I mentioned what I ate but not really. As I approach my 25th week of pregnancy I have to take a test that I am dreading. . . the glucose tolerance test. There have been some weeks where I have strayed and having a husband eating a standard American/Mexican American diet it becomes difficult. So, I have devised a sort of layout on this. I read one lady's blog as she stated she cared more about how she was decorating the nursery over what to eat and with me it is the opposite as we have not begun to even plan the nursery or a theme. I had no idea that it was that serious. . .honestly I didn't. (for a later post) So I have devised a "good day" eating plan that I have in comparison to what hubby eats. I hope you are ready for this!
My Morning
- drink 32 ounces of water before going to work
- (first trimester) a bowl of quinoa porridge with cinnamon and Coconut Palm sugar adding raisins, chia seeds and almonds if they are available (also, adding almond milk for the porridge texture)
- (second trimester) Bran cereal with chia seeds, sliced strawberries or a banana in coconut milk
-(second trimester) Nutriblender- organic spinach, organic strawberries, flax seeds, bananas and water together to make a right before you get out the door for work juice.
My Mid Morning Snack
- Greek Yogurt with "granola" (really, it is ancient grains with flax and cinnamon)
My Lunch
- Organic Spinach salad with red wine vinagerette or apple cider vinegarette, red onions, chia seeds, chickpeas, cucumbers and either sliced organic strawberries or organic grape tomatoes
My Mid afternoon Snack
- Veggies and hummus (baby love this!)
My Dinner
- Some lean meat (chicken, salmon, grass fed beef) with a vegetable and some fruit for dessert
My idea is to get as much veggies in my system as possible and if I am eating meat to eat more lean cuts of meat. I am sure you noticed the chia seeds throughout the menu. That is because with the bad days I need my boost of omega-3's. There are days where I am craving bad stuff and I do one of three things- I don't succumb to it and the craving goes away in a few days, I substitute it and eat some fruit because it is usually some odd sweets that I have not had in forever or I eat a little of it and the craving goes away. I do take prenatal vitamins, a DHA supplement and a Vitamin D supplement. I walk daily, stretch, do yoga whenever I can and SQUATS!!! Oh my! I think I have a booty of steel now! It is big and lean! I think it looks better now than it did when I was not pregnant. LOL!!
So, here is hubby's diet. Please, if you are pregnant do NOT follow this guide unless you want to be at risk for gestational diabetes.
Hubby's Breakfast
- 12 oz of coffee with milk for creme and sugar
- Oreos, Chocolate chip cookies, doughnuts, or Mexican Sweet Bread (conchas) for dipping
Hubby's Mid morning snack
- Water- 16 oz
Hubby's Lunch
- Ham sandwich on french bread he made at home before heading to work
- an apple
-hot chips
- and two cans of Pepsi (this is the healthiest of his lunches I assure you and that is if he eats lunch)
Hubby's Mid afternoon snack
- either 16 oz of water or 20 oz of gatoraid depending on the heat it may be both
Hubby's Dinner
- Skirt steak
- Mexican rice
- Three (or two) cans of Pepsi
Almost a complete 360 right? Well, I can assure you that I changed my diet slightly from when I was not pregnant. Again, there are times where I stray and will have a concha for breakfast but I will try to add a healthy element into it. (chia seeds into my decaf coffee)
Here is a nice little guide for what you should buy organic and ok to buy non organic. Have a great Sunday! Pics are below
My Morning
- drink 32 ounces of water before going to work
- (first trimester) a bowl of quinoa porridge with cinnamon and Coconut Palm sugar adding raisins, chia seeds and almonds if they are available (also, adding almond milk for the porridge texture)
- (second trimester) Bran cereal with chia seeds, sliced strawberries or a banana in coconut milk
-(second trimester) Nutriblender- organic spinach, organic strawberries, flax seeds, bananas and water together to make a right before you get out the door for work juice.
My Mid Morning Snack
- Greek Yogurt with "granola" (really, it is ancient grains with flax and cinnamon)
My Lunch
- Organic Spinach salad with red wine vinagerette or apple cider vinegarette, red onions, chia seeds, chickpeas, cucumbers and either sliced organic strawberries or organic grape tomatoes
My Mid afternoon Snack
- Veggies and hummus (baby love this!)
My Dinner
- Some lean meat (chicken, salmon, grass fed beef) with a vegetable and some fruit for dessert
My idea is to get as much veggies in my system as possible and if I am eating meat to eat more lean cuts of meat. I am sure you noticed the chia seeds throughout the menu. That is because with the bad days I need my boost of omega-3's. There are days where I am craving bad stuff and I do one of three things- I don't succumb to it and the craving goes away in a few days, I substitute it and eat some fruit because it is usually some odd sweets that I have not had in forever or I eat a little of it and the craving goes away. I do take prenatal vitamins, a DHA supplement and a Vitamin D supplement. I walk daily, stretch, do yoga whenever I can and SQUATS!!! Oh my! I think I have a booty of steel now! It is big and lean! I think it looks better now than it did when I was not pregnant. LOL!!
So, here is hubby's diet. Please, if you are pregnant do NOT follow this guide unless you want to be at risk for gestational diabetes.
Hubby's Breakfast
- 12 oz of coffee with milk for creme and sugar
- Oreos, Chocolate chip cookies, doughnuts, or Mexican Sweet Bread (conchas) for dipping
Hubby's Mid morning snack
- Water- 16 oz
Hubby's Lunch
- Ham sandwich on french bread he made at home before heading to work
- an apple
-hot chips
- and two cans of Pepsi (this is the healthiest of his lunches I assure you and that is if he eats lunch)
Hubby's Mid afternoon snack
- either 16 oz of water or 20 oz of gatoraid depending on the heat it may be both
Hubby's Dinner
- Skirt steak
- Mexican rice
- Three (or two) cans of Pepsi
Almost a complete 360 right? Well, I can assure you that I changed my diet slightly from when I was not pregnant. Again, there are times where I stray and will have a concha for breakfast but I will try to add a healthy element into it. (chia seeds into my decaf coffee)
Here is a nice little guide for what you should buy organic and ok to buy non organic. Have a great Sunday! Pics are below
Dirty dozen means that you would have to buy organic. I am still learning on this chart so don't feel bad.
Week fifteen
Week Seventeen (see, told you this room wasn't cleaned out.)
Week Eighteen
Twenty weeks (hubby and I's Baby moon if you want to call it that)
Baton Rouge, LA
Twenty two weeks with a college buddy who was 36 weeks in the picture I believe
Twenty three weeks (yes, mama walked a half marathon! OW!)
Twenty four weeks (taken on the 4th of July- most recent picture)
Weight gain since pregnant- 14 pounds
Any swelling?- in my feet occasionally but my feet are so bony you can barely notice
Can you wear your wedding ring?- I still can wear them comfortably
Are you wearing maternity clothing?- I embraced the cute clothes at nine weeks!! They are so comfy! I love them!
Stretch marks- Last blog entry, that photo was taken at twenty two weeks and it looks the same.
Bowel/ bladder issues- My bladder has been hanging on pretty well considering the baby occasionally uses it as a pillow or a cushion to sit on. Not baby's fault. I just can't run for too long until I have to run to a bathroom.
Any other issues?- Nope. I am sleeping much better on my side which was a problem in the beginning of the second trimester. I feel good! Baby kicks but not crazy like or non stop which I have heard someone mention. I think this is going to be an amazing kid!


Comments
Post a Comment