Cinnamon and Sugar Goodness

In our home there are two things that are being eaten- conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread) or Croissants. There is also cake and cookies so this is TERRIBLE if you are trying to diet and loose pounds from reduction in simple carbs. (please note, if you are diabetic and you come to visit us I will certainly make something else that we all can eat. No sweet bread for you!) I have gotten a little fed up with the routine and decided to make something that I can gather I would enjoy along with others that come over. I am very big on trying to make something a little better and those croissants were annoying me a little with their bland taste. I have been doing creative things for about a month now- sprinkling cinnamon on them being one. This time, I think I got it right!

Ingredients
- 1 can of Croissants ( we got reduced fat from Pillsbury)
- Cinnamon Powder (as you see below, I got mine from a spice shop)
- Coconut palm sugar
- a place where you can get messy ( I just made a mess on another cookie sheet) make one side for getting messy and one side for organization.


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (as if you are not reading the can! we all are guilty- I think)
2. Open the can of croissants. I actually separated four from the pack for hubby.
3. Lay the (four for me) croissants pastry flat on your messy cookie sheet.
4. Sprinkle the coconut palm sugar over the part of the cookie sheet you are not using yet and  some cinnamon. Not sure the measurements so if you want to do a tablespoon for each go right ahead!
5. Sprinkle some palm sugar over the flattened pastry 
6. Sprinkle some cinnamon over the flattened pastry
7. Begin to separate the pastry over the dotted lines and as you roll them into croissants, do it over the messy side of the cookie sheet.
8. Put them on your actual baking cookie sheet. If you are a cinnamon hog like me they should look something like this:



Darn camera! As you see, there are some regular croissants for hubby

9. They should bake for about 11 minutes but you may want to take them out sooner because the cinnamon smells so heavenly! 
10. Remove and eat with your spiced coffee. (yeah, I added cinnamon and nutmeg to my coffee as well. Nom nom!) Great for those snowy cold days when you have to force yourself to get up and get ready for the day.

As you break the croissant, you can see all those fluffy layers of cinnamon and sugar.

These are lower on the glycemic index because coconut palm sugar does not hike it up as regular sugar does so next time I make them I am taking some up to my mother in law so she can enjoy as well! Also, if you notice I did not add any butter to the mix simply because it is not needed. If you want to add butter you can but make sure you have some parchment paper handy before tossing on this cookie sheet. Ugh, the mess that could be made!

Enjoy Low Glycemic Living!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS