One Month in- Homeschool and Remote Learning



 To go from homeschooling my oldest to putting him into school, remotely, this meme is a bit of an understatement. All the preparation was not for naught. So, here it is- one month in and we are getting the hang of it. . .most days.


Unlike the masses, I did not set up a whole station for him. He is in the kitchen with the whole kiddie table to himself. While he is there, it is space between him and his sister who is a bouncy 3-year-old. We began to get frustrated as I seemed to have to remind him where to go and what to do next. He seems to not listen to the teacher at times and after school, he seemed drained. Between breaks, he is outside and I have enforced the "schedule" on the kitchen dry erase board.


The schedule gets changed twice a day in case I am in a meeting or busy with the girl. He is mostly on his own and some days are better than others. If he thinks the material is too easy, which happens a lot, I bring out some second or third-grade work for him to work on. On the weekends, we work with writing and spelling. He reads to his sister during his work time which she gets to have more people reading to her which is great for reading comprehension. She is getting there!

Homeschooling the girl is completely different. She loves to paint and sing as we sing songs, paint and I let her decide what she would like to do as my lesson planner for her is always in pencil and never the same thing.



Phonetic sounds are made into songs as she sings with mommy, which makes her smile. She does complete tablet time which I used to limit to 1 hour but with work being tossed to the side I have replaced it to 3 hours which is sad. When I see her tracing and doing Mandarin lessons on her tablet, ( I did not add that to her tablet) I feel somewhat ok. Recently, we are doing a letter a week. This past week was the letter "N" but there is no distinction of shapes as we go by what she feels like doing. Friday, we started sight words but only two- "sun" and "ant". Most times, if I pull out a bin, she wants to go through it but on her own. She is fiercely independent and I don't want to force her to go a particular way. So far, I am learning my little girl is in the rare population of the left-handed female. (Stats show that out of the 10% of the population that is left-handed, only about 3-4% of that population is female as left-handedness is mostly a boy thing.) I love my kids to be individuals so I am working on my handwriting with my left hand so I can help her with her writing skills. My handwriting with my left hand is TERRIBLE! lol! I have to play Barbie's with her as well. I forget how fun it was to play with toys! Sometimes, I reuse items within play in order to keep down costs:
The paint cups are old yogurt cups. Fall activity of fall trees.




Dot "find" an M
Some days, I do more with her and him than others. I am also doing cases, washing dishes, cleaning the floors and walls, and making food. I swear I have no idea how I am doing this! Well, we are out of here! Enjoy our quarantine fall! (not smiling- at all) Here are some pictures from the pumpkin farm. It was barely anyone there- great in these times.






Eclectic Lotus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS