Food and the New Decade

So, this latest decade I have been into food. Not all food but select food has been one of my new passions which I am wondering if it coincides with the new decade I am as I have approached my 40's.
Lunch from last week- a teriyaki tofu sandwich on french bread with french fries- a guilty meal

I have attempted to try vegan, plant based throughout the week as my experiment. The last time I experimented with a lifestyle change ( I refuse to call it a diet) was when I was 30 and I tried being a lacto-ovo vegetarian which has sustained me throughout my 30's with my second pregnancy. ( My first pregnancy, I ate meat because baby craved red meat so I dropped being a vegetarian.)

During work- "cheesy" chickpea pasta with veggies

I did one full work week of vegan/plant based and I was impressed! I did not think that there would be much of a change as I am a lacto- ovo vegetarian which if you have not been keeping up with the whole vegetarian trends is a little different. Let me go back through this again. . . 

Waffles with berries, pecans, chia seeds and maple syrup

Lacto-ovo vegetarian- a person who eats dairy and eggs and other products made by animals. ( such as honey) I have been this since I was 30. This is the lifestyle many recommend if you are beginning your "no meat" journey.

Lacto vegetarian- No eggs in your vegetarian journey but dairy is okay.

Ovo vegetarian- No dairy but we are good with eggs as a vegetarian.

Pescatarian- They include fish with vegetables. I began with fish, eggs, honey, and dairy. Once I completed breastfeeding with my first child I gave up fish. Yes, I have regretted it ever since because I love salmon and catfish.

Now, there are new categories for vegans. They are not just vegan and we cool.

Vegan- They eat NO ANIMAL OR ANIMAL PRODUCTS! They only munch on plants and plant products. I say plant products like tofu, tempeh, maple syrup, canola oil and agave nectar.

Plant Based Vegan- All of what I just said and no oil. For some reason, they don't do agave nectar as much.

There are many other categories but I think I would start with that. May be I will do another post where I break all of these down including the mainstream diets such as Paleo, Keto and Mediterranean diets. ( Side note: did you know you can make Mediterranean diet vegan or vegetarian? Yas hunty! I may have to do another blog on it and come back and link this sucker.)

Steel cut oats with chia seeds and pecans-Breakfast of champions

So, I did a removal or replace of items which I have been stocking up from last year so it was not difficult at all with the exception of eggs and honey. If you know me, you know how much I love honey for sweetening and the antibiotic properties. Bees are truly a gift from God! Instead of giving the low down and break down from each day I will tell you the bi-product after day 5- I FELT GREAT! I had more energy and was able to complete my online work as well as had a sharper mindset at work. I got a pimple on day 2 and it was gone by the end of the day- I can not make this stuff up. By day 5 my waist went down an inch and I am wondering if it was from all the fried food and cheese gunk. Will I attempt this again? Yes! The next week though ( This past week) I twisted my knee so many of my meals were fast or ordered so plant based was not attempted. Actually, vegan was not even performed as much because we had date night and I had a wrap that I did not know had arugula in it because they seasoned that mushroom just right! ( Yeah I did- I was just hungry. LOL!) So, my advice to anyone that is thinking, "this is hard" or "Veganuary?"

1. My husband is a meat eater and so are my kids. Get your family to help out with their meals while you focus on yours

2. MEAL PLAN! Honestly, my lunches consisted of salads and at night, it was rice and veggies. Aldi is where I went and got salad packs and removed the stuff I knew I was not going to eat like the cheese.

3. DRINK WATER! I did the earth friendly thing and grabbed an old water bottle and filled it up with water and drank throughout the day. 

4. READ, READ, READ! You have to read EVERYTHING on the labels. Many items may be vegetarian but not vegan. As you read above, there is a difference. That is how I ended up with that arugula in my wrap because I forgot to read. I saw a "V" symbol behind the description of the wrap in the menu description.

5. Spices are your friend. Grab a bunch and go wild- well, let me retract that. Figure out spices and which ones would be good with what. Sometimes fresh is best so check out Sprouts/ Fresh Thyme for fresh spices like bay leaves, cilantro, parsley, thyme and so many more! I have been guilty of seasoning hubby's steak and wrapping it up and doing the same thing to my mushrooms.

Good luck and if you have any questions, please shoot them in the comment section. I may not get back to you immediately but I will make a better attempt at getting to you within the day.

Bon appetite!
Eclectic Lotus
Clear skin and I couldn't get my hands out of my head! Yes, I have a picture of myself up-rare

Here are some products I used to help me on my journey!

Many products as I said before came from Aldi such as this one.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS