20 Years since The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill- Introduction to Adulthood
![]() |
| Great Music Article from Stereogum- Click to read |
September 1998,
I purchased "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" as one of my first CD's to add to my building collection of CD's that I will purchase throughout my college career. The album was released August 25th, 1998- right around the time I was moving into my college dorm for the first time. I was in my first serious relationship that turned into an engagement that same month. I get the notification that it has been 20 years since this album has been released. I decided to remove myself from the Christian music circuit in order to flashback. . .
The first few songs took me to my life 20 years ago but seemed to hold true to today. How is that possible? She does not mention a president, she states urban life. She mentions the turbulence of a bad relationship that needs to ends. She mentions how men need to step up and how women need to tone it down. All of these themes at times seem to be universal. She was "woke" before it became a thing. One song, she even sings about the birth of her son which I used to surpass that song when I first heard it but listening to it while staring at my first born- a son- it holds true to my heart. She remakes a song that was pleasant to listen to but made it even more popular. (Can you figure out what movie it was in?) The song between her and D'Angelo brings me back to my brother and his wife's marriage in November 1998- the song, "Nothing Even Matters" was one of the songs that was played during their ceremony. They are still married and getting ready to celebrate 20 years of marriage.
![]() |
| From Time Magazine- Click here to read article |
This album became a epiphany- almost an elegy for some. Many critics and music heads say that after this year, the quality of music fell. I do not believe this but it was a shifting of sorts. When you think of some of the musicians that arose after this year with quality music (Alicia Keys, John Legend to name a few) I feel like this album was the gateway.
After this album was released, I began college and began the course of my adult life which led to my degree in English, the loss of my father, the move to Chicago, the decision to become a Chiropractor, the marriage of my husband, the birth of my children, the shift into the world of NUCCA- 1998 became that pivotal year. My first full year of adulthood I was given a pamphlet- "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" was that pamphlet. A delightful album that supports the highs and lows of everyday life from the eyes of a Black woman.
I figured I would leave the music critic to the actual critics so take a look at the links below the pictures- there are some things on there that I didn't even notice. She did come out with a concert album but it did not have the finesse and ambiance of Miseducation. I don't have the album to place on here for you but do check out Amazon music, Spotify, Pandora, etc. for the music. To see the emergence of this lovely album I also recommend that you listen to her when she was in the Fugees. Also, here are some more links to samples and articles. Enjoy being "Re-educated"!
https://www.istandardproducers.com/miseducation-samples/
This link is to buy a Miseducation poster- looks pretty cool!
https://www.thefloodgallery.com/products/lauryn-hill-the-miseducation-of?variant=41773317715
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill- an neo-soul symphony- one of the firsts.


Comments
Post a Comment