I ain't got time to make food! Mama's crazy, healthy and yummy foods
I ain't got time!!! I have a 3 1/2 year old who loves to play and a 3 month old who wants to nurse all day. She also likes to spit up on me- I know this because she smiles after she spits. I am always hungry so making food is a necessity. I have a friend currently who tells me that every time she talks to me, I am at the store. This is why I love the midwest in the summer. . . it is so easy to get cheaper produce in various places. My shopping adventures take about two days to get through because I ain't got time to go shopping all day.
Weekly, I have to clean out the fridge. The boy and I eat to our hearts content all the veggies and fruits before heading to the grocery store. If there is still room for food, we feast away at all the samples. Most of the grocery stores have stickers that the boy enjoys and takes home to load up the floor and tables with that I have to clean later. Ah, a mother's work is never done.
I have worked on making more foods and encorporating more vegetables. Summer makes time for more interesting salads. Fall and winter is where I am more creative on soups. Recently trying to eat all the vegetables in my fridge has been a challenge as I eventually go for the whole juicing whatever is available thing.
The salad which I made while pregnant was still being made because I think quinoa, corn, avocado is an awesome combination. . .
So, I have decided to try more vegan and whole food- vegetarian dishes since it is necessary that I attempt more leafy greens.
This dish has no name- it is just a salad I put together but it was so good, I ate and prepared it two more times. It took me three minutes to make- I am not kidding.
1 cup of basmati rice
2 cup vegetable broth
2 cups of baby spinach
1/2 red onion chopped
1 cup Cowboy Caviar
Prepare rice in rice cooker with vegetable broth. While the rice is cooking, combine other ingredients. When the rice is complete, either combine the rice hot or chilled- I liked it warm because it gave a good mix and wasn't dry- I do not recommend eating it after it has been in the fridge for a day or two. Yuk!
Cowboy Caviar can be purchased at Costco in a big tub which I love because more opportunity to make dishes loaded in black eyed peas and black beans. Also, Trader Joe's sells Cowboy Caviar but I never tried it there.
This next dish is something I created after looking online and seeing a steak bake or grill. I wondered if I could make something like that but vegan. Here is my answer- YES! And it is every bit as yummy as its meat counterpart.
Trader Joe's Sriracha seasoned tofu
1/2 cup red baby potatoes
1 broccoli crown
1/2 bag of frozen sweet corn
1 red onion
1 teaspoon steak seasoning
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 dash balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos
1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven at 375 degrees.Chop tofu in cubes ( your preference for size as I didn't measure. I ain't that psycho!) and add to pan or foil pack. Add veggies chopped with exception of frozen corn. Add spices and condiments. Combine with hands. Seal foil pack or add aluminum foil to top of pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
It was spicy, sweet and amazing in flavor and filled me up which is difficult these days because I am always hungry. Next time I make it I will instead cut corn from the cob and add to the grill. This took a little longer than the other dish to make so I actually wore the baby as I prepared and hubby played with the boy. If you try out any of these dishes, let me know how you like them in the comments section. Yes, I am actually offering up myself- because you know this is not a career for me and I don't get paid.
Have a great summer!




Comments
Post a Comment