Pledge of Allegiance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation, under God, indivisible
with liberty and justice for all."
Like most people, I get a little patriotic around the time of the Olympics. As I watched social media during the opening ceremony I noticed people comment on the fact that the United States came out in the arena very early on. This was due to the fact that they went by Portugese. I am sure when they were in Madrid that they were announced earlier as well as both in Portugese and Spanish ( and French ) the United States does not begin with an U but with an E. Estados Unidos ( Spanish) Estats Unis ( French) are the spelling and names in other languages that I recall and tell you without the accent sadly so fluent speaker please don't correct I know it is a little off. The fact that we became this way is due to our patriotism.
As I placed the pledge of allegiance up there is a good reason. The pledge of allegiance is no longer spoken in (at least most) public schools anymore. I actually wonder how many young people under the age of 25 even remember the pledge. Last weekend, I had a good friend over who is originally from Mexico and she could tell me the history of her flag and how it came to be. It was a great story. I wonder how many of us here in the Estados Unidos can tell the history of our flag? How many of us know what happened to the pledge of allegiance.
Well, the history of the allegiance began hundreds of years ago by a man named Balch and then altered in the 1800's by a minister in New York named Bellamy. The phrase, "under God" was included in the 1950's to show that we are not "godless" and communists. Yes my dear athiest it had nothing to do with actual God but to reflect that we are a republic and not communists. In fact, CONGRESS added the term so no pastor or minister or monk or rabbi added this term.
After a ruling in the supreme court the term, "under God" was kept in the allegiance but the damage is done as children are not required to stand up near their desk and told to place their hand over their hearts to speak this allegiance. Instead, we have some people pledging to something else. I won't discuss that in detail here.
Anyway, this will be ended a little short due to time frame and the fact an hour has passed as I have a child up who want to color on the floor. Here are the links that I found that has this information along with a few more. Remember, this is The United States of America. . .INDIVISIBLE! ( at least during the Olympics. LOL!)
Enjoy the Olympics and find a United States Flag!
Comments
Post a Comment