How to have a bilingual household
As February is heading to a close, there is so much I feel. . .hmmmm. . . I should say I feel like a battle that is coming to a close. May be the weather or the fact that I get around one hour a week to really check out my surroundings and see what is real and what is a mirage.
Also, hubby is almost out of school and our son doesn't look like a vegetable. He is creative! He is social and he is active! He is bilingual which is great because there are times when I absolutely need jim to do something and when I say it on Spanish he seems to see my demand.
Advice for multi cultural homes is to invest in the language you want your child to learn. A friend of mine stopped being scared and began speaking to her kids in French. She saw my non native speaking butt speak to my son and it inspired her. She wants to re learn Spanish just as I need to pick up on my French. I use the app Duolingo. It is free and when you understand the lessons it is pretty funny because those sentences are hilarious! I also have books in Spanish and read to him which helps me with my reading in another language. Songs in Spanish are also associated as he knows the "head, shoulders, knees and toes" song in English and Spanish.
Good luck and will post in another month.
Comments
Post a Comment