Pancakes Anyone?

We love pancakes! After running for events my favorite thing to get is pancakes. Some thing in my history of pancakes make them irrestible. If you were raised as I was you know that after church when they had pancake brunches to raise money for whatever the case may be was a treat. How I adore those moments when I hear of them and begging my mother to go and purchase our tickets to have them lathered in butter and syrup.
The pancake party thrown in our kitchen
I have made oatmeal pancakes, paleo pancakes, sweet potato pancakes, cinnamon pancakes and of course buttermilk pancakes. The photo above is that of the buttermilk pancakes that got my husband to marry me all over again. My mother never taught me how to make pancakes from scratch as she was the modern career mother of the 70's and 80's so I had a little help with this as with most of the recipes that I show you on here. This pancake recipe came from the side of a Kemp's buttermilk container.

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour 
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
3 cups buttermilk 
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted 

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs, and melted butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. You can flick water across the surface and if it beads up and sizzles, it's ready!
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

I have altered the ingredients slightly with each time I make the pancakes. Spelt flour has been substituted from all purpose flour and they were still delicious! The buttermilk was replaced with plain, unsweetened kefir because I didn't have any and didn't feel like going to the store and just as good. I don't think I ever but standard cow's milk in the pancakes because we only have lactaid milk and hubby goes through it so fast with his coffee but I tend to keep almond milk on hand since it is cheaper than lactaid milk and that goes in making it pretty good.

If you are a paleo junkie and want to know of my paleo pancakes I believe I posted them but I can re-add information. I had one very ripe banana and two eggs that I beat together with a wisk and added to a coconut oiled griddle.

Happy Thanksgiving Brunch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS