Autumn Chil-ee

So, one day I got bored and decided it would be a great day for some Chili. Here were my ingredients:

All from Trader Joe's
For the "meat" since I was in a rush and did not want to go to the store I remembered that I had some tri-color quinoa from a day ago. . .
This became the "ground beef". I love using quinoa it is a wonder grain! (1 cup)
I grabbed my trusty crock pot and threw all the above ingredients into it as well as a tablespoon of curry powder and a teaspoon of cumin in order to make it a little more healthy.

 It cooked for 4 hours and loaded our apartment up with the enticing smell of curry, cumin and love! While those 4 hours were going on I made some cornbread similar to the cornbread from Bandera restaurant but this time I did not make it from scratch. . . I used Jiffy mix and went by the ingredients on the package. I added a dash of sugar and 1/2 a can of sweet corn. BAM! A healthy comfort meal. . .

Each bite was loaded in spice and sweet. I used to make this chili with ground turkey but using the quinoa was a good choice. Next time, I will use red quinoa to enhance color.

So, did you get all that? I would have put a formal recipe but I am hoping this is so simplistic that you can follow that. If not, here you go:

Sweet and Spicy Chili- Veggie Style!
1 cup red quinoa - pre cooked
1 jar of chunky salsa (Trader Joes brand)
1 can of black beans- drained
1 can of kidney beans- drained
1 jar of Corn and Chili salsa (Trader Joes brand)
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of ground red pepper
1 teaspoon of chopped cilantro

Add all ingredients into crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours. Optionally- serve with cornbread muffins

Cornbread Muffins- Speedy
1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (I used Almond/ Coconut blend milk)
1/2 can of sweet corn-drained

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Grease muffin pan
Blend ingredients. Batter should be lumpy. Also, wait 3-4 minutes for the muffin to look a little more fluffy!
Fill muffin cups 1/2 full
Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS