Another Mexican Dish Conversion
I am always a work in progress. I love to learn and create when I have all the skills I need. So, I have spent 3 years getting my husband's favorite dishes correct. I was taught by his mother and my sister-in-law. I had to listen to the sister-in-law because my Spanish is not as good in translation as I thought. Well, I should correct myself and say that it is only one favorite dish that I know of. . . RICE AND MEAT! (as he puts it)
(Spanish Rice and Skirt Steak or Arranchera)
So, I make this for him and hopefully I have something that I made the day before that I can eat because I have tried the whole making two dinners at once and that is a lot of dishes to clean. So, this was hubby's dinner the night before last. Last night, I was hungry and did not want to spend money going out to a vegetarian restaurant and there was "nothing" in the house to eat. . . or so I thought. I figured now is the time to convert my favorite husband's dish into something I would eat. . .
Vola! Spanish quinoa with veggies.
Traditionally, Spanish rice has veggies in it but I usually not include the veggies in hubby's because he is not particular of veggies unless I scream at him about not eating them. But, that does not mean "My spanish rice" should not have veggies in it. Below are his way to make it and my delightful vegetarian kind.
Mexican Rice
Ingredients:
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 tbsp of Corn Oil
- 1 tbsp of Chicken flavor bouillon*
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of water
*- Note for my vegetarians out there because it says flavor does not mean there is no chicken content in it. It includes beef fat, chicken fat and chicken meat.
Directions:
- Grab your big skillet and put the heat on medium high
- Add corn oil to warm up with the skillet for a minute
- Add rice- stirring constantly
- When the rice looks "crispy" ( when the rice is opaque) add tomato sauce
- Stir tomato sauce in slightly before adding water.
- Add water and mildly stir
- Add bouillon and stir into mixture
- Add lid and bring heat down to medium low so it can cook as normal rice does
- Before all the water is out remove lid and stir in the remaining untouched sauce with the almost white bottom.
- Serve and enjoy!
Spanish Quinoa "Rice"
Ingredients:
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 tbsp of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 bag of frozen vegetables
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- (optional) a dash of Goya Adobo for taste
Directions:
- Grab your big skillet and put the heat on medium high
- Add coconut oil to warm up with the skillet for a minute
- Add quinoa- stirring constantly for about three minutes
- It is really hard to see a difference in the quinoa so if you do you can go on to the next step
- Add tomato sauce and stir lightly before adding water
- Add water and stir
- Add Adobo if you like and stir into mixture
- Add mixed vegetables and stir into mixture
- Add lid and bring heat down to medium low to cook as normal quinoa would (can cook as rice)
- Before all the water is out remove lid and stir in the remaining untouched sauce with the almost white bottom.
- Serve and enjoy!
I took a pic before digging in and I added some Chicken-less soy chicken strips from Trader Joes' I found in the back of the freezer. Still good!


Comments
Post a Comment