It's That Time of Year Again! Salad Creation

 Hello October!!!

This year is particularly interesting as last year, we walked into this month with the loss of my 93 year old grandmother. September was supposed to be a whole profile on how she was thriving and surviving. By the end of October last year I lost my aunt. This month will look a little more traditional. . . 

Fake pumpkin shopping


Salads- Last post before all the fun soups!
  I am still vegan! I have not been on here much so I have to make that statement. I have made many salads and I have had a few people ask me about my salads. . . 
"Caesar" salad

Lettuce base
   Grab a lettuce base- the picture above is red leaf lettuce. Here are a couple other styles of lettuce that you can use:
  • Kale
  • Spinach
  • Romaine
  • Butterhead lettuce
  • Batavia lettuce
  • Red leaf lettuce
  • Butter Bibb lettuce
  • Green leaf lettuce
Wash with water and baking soda or vinegar to remove bugs and pesticides. 

Note- with green curly kale, you will need a little prep before. Wash them out and then, masurate them! (grind the leaves up in your hand.)

After that, you can add anything else you want that is a veggie, a root plant, an allium if you desire, a fruit it is up to you. 

Spices and Seasoning
   I also will add seasonings to my salads- I love using "Everything bagel" seasoning as they have huge chunks of garlic and sesame seasoning. 

Protein
   I will add beans, tofu, tempeh, nuts, seeds- etc. I have added quinoa in a salad in the past. 

Salad Dressing
  I like going to Trader Joe's for salad dressing! Have I made my own? Yes, I have back in the days when my kids were babies but I have not had the time recently. I may get to it during Thanksgiving so stay tuned. 

Fats
   Sometimes, I may add avocado to my salad- similar to a meat eater adding eggs to their salad. Not a base need. 

For the salad I made last, I added Red leaf lettuce and did a light chopping. The leaves were a little big. 

I added red onions because I love the sharp, spicy taste with my salad!
I had some tomatoes and added them for a little lycopene (protect from cell damage)
I added nutritional yeast for a mild cheesy taste and Everything but the Bagel seasoning.
(it is barely shown but there is avocado in the salad)

I did not take a picture of the salad dressing but I used a vegan Caesar salad dressing that I got from Trader Joe's. Mix well and serve.
It actually stores in the fridge well. If you have your doubts, add a little lemon juice. I also recommend some roasted chickpea "croutons". That really kicks it up a notch!

Sorry, I do not have a recipe sheet laid out. 

Chickpea "croutons"

1 can of chickpeas
Italian Seasoning
Avocado oil

I threw these ingredients on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I mixed the ingredients around. I then placed them in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.



Enjoy your salad! I know I will!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS