Another tool to combat the viral triad

 The viral triad for 2022- RSV, influenza, and COVID. That is what I am calling this. This year, the flu came early. This year, even though we acted like COVID was gone, it has been here the whole time, snatching up people and landing some people I know in the hospital. RSV has silently been on the warpath. Together, the media is having a field day discussing this. While I have not seen any children personally in the hospital, I have not discounted it. My home had our bout of COVID last year christmas but my husband and myself tested positive. We did not test our children. At the end of August, our kids started school- my oldest began 3rd grade and the baby started kindergarten. The next week, our son tested positive for COVID while the youngest tested negative. She had symptoms so instead of testing again, we treated them both with rest and good foods- which being in a home with a vegan health doctor and a SAD diet HVAC guy was not an easy task.  After three months, the kids finally don't cough as much. They experienced what is now known as Long COVID. What shortened this issue? I began to make them tea since most of my supplements are not recommended for kids to take. I began making a pineapple tea.



 If you follow me on Facebook and Instgram, you have seen it before. Pineapple tea is also not new. I also added cod liver oil to the tea for the children in the morning and their multivitamin which contains Vitamin D. ( Vitamin D has been a champion vitamin for fighting COVID- not reducing your risk of COVID. I want to emphasize that.)

Pineapple Tea

Links to pineapple tea: Livestrong: Pineapple Tea Benefits

Pineapple Tea
1 stock pot
1 whole pineapple
2 tablespoons of turmeric
2 dashes of black pepper
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
10 cups of water
2 dashes of Himalayan pink salt

Add water and salt to the stock pot. Cut up the pineapple- core and all with the exception of the stem- to the water when boiling. Add turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Occasionally stir. Boil for 30-45 minutes before serving. Add honey, maple syrup, monk fruit sweetener, or your choice, or none at all. Enjoy!

We did not add sweetener after the second batch but I did the first batch. I added honey for the children but in their individual cups. This recipe has been altered many times over as I have added cinnamon and ginger but once I reheated the tea. 

Pineapple- This fruit is loaded with bromelain- a natural and powerful antioxidant, anti-cancer, heart-healthy (to prevent heart attacks), digestive aid in the case of constipation, flushing out any water retention, and hydration. Think I am full of it? I challenge you to eat some pineapple daily- just once a day though. This stuff is very citric and can cause sores in the mouth if eaten too much in one sitting. I know from personal experience! (Sorry, it is so good!)

Turmeric- This herb contains curcumin- another natural and powerful antioxidant. This herb is also anti-cancer, heart-protective, digestive aid, and has some brain and anti-aging properties. It is best to activate this "loaded gun" with black pepper- which is why it is in the tea. 

Cayenne Pepper- Ah, this may make for an interesting ingredient but I am just going to say- blood circulation and joint pain. I had a patient to whom I might have recommended it in passing and it changed her life! She was bouncing around and even started taking yoga classes before I left that practice. She made a salve with cayenne which relieved almost all of her arthritic pain in the hips and knees. 

Himalayan Pink Salt- It was used to help boil water faster but apparently this can help with sleep. If you got kids that are somewhat sick but still bouncing all over the place, this may help. Not saying it is a miracle but any little bit helps, right?

I actually keep the pineapple chunks in with the tea and store them in the fridge and freezer to take out and warm up and drink. My kids asked for this daily which if it tastes good they will want it and they are picky eaters- if I can find a way to get something healthy in them it is a win. I continue to recommend vitamin D, Vitamin C, zinc, monolaurin, oregano,  omega-3 supplements, soups with kale, garlic, and mushrooms with broth, and of course sleep. 

Again, I will try my best to get on and post more healthy things as I get a lot of friends, family, and patients asking about my diet, how to break fevers, and much more. I also must announce that I am opening up my own practice as well where I will have a website that is mostly complete. The information from this blog about health will be transferred there to that site as I am thinking my first article will be about extremes in weight loss. I am pretty annoyed with certain things involving a certain drug. 

Here are some articles if you want to read more about the ingredients and all the great things about pineapple tea. 

Cayenne


Himalayan Sea Salt


Turmeric

Pineapple

(I didn't want to add too many.)

For the med and alt healthy heads:

Me heading to work with some pineapple tea. Yum!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS