(The above picture links to it's source- Forks over Knives- which is a great site for starting the journey to plant-based veganism. I recommend first to seek your doctor before conducting a huge lifestyle change.)
Now, I can look at my kitchen again to make some muffins for the morning! Thanksgiving was fun but man did it make a lot of dishes! We had to wash them in shifts and I am sure you understand my pain.
This morning, I decided to stop the chaos of processed sweets! My husband has a knack for buying donuts and cookies for the kids and while it saves me time from having to cook anything at all it is also leads to some pretty nasty mood swings. I can't lie, I do indulge in the sweet treats, but that is why I am vegan-ish and not full-on vegan. Those donuts call to me! Once in a while, he gets Oreo's and they are vegan so yeah, I indulge. This morning, I made muffins!


Oh yeah! I had three bananas sitting there, getting very ripe and I am sick of throwing these golden treasures away so yeah, I made muffins. I had to get an idea off mama's favorite anxiety machine- PINTEREST! I found one because there are so many recipes for this right now- and VEGAN at that! So, I found one (fast- no rhyme or reason on why I selected this one) from Cozy Peach Kitchen. I, of course, changed her recipe because I am hard-headed like that and it still came out simply delicious. I removed the flax egg because I have not grounded any flax seeds and instead used Just Egg product. I also did not use soy milk as hers stated because, well, I don't like soy milk. I am so sorry but I am just not a fan of soy milk. That and rice milk and not my fave substitute milk but that should not stop you.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons of Just Egg
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup of pure cane sugar ( I always use the Morena pure cane sugar. It is at Aldi. Hint hint.)
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour. ( I added 1/4 cup of almond flour to 2 cups of all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine all the "wet" ingredients. ( I am not sure how sugar became a wet ingredient, but hey, it works!) Stir together "until mostly cohesive". Uh, yeah. I think that means until it is mostly combined because the oil will try to be apart from the rest of the ingredients.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. ( I actually put the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisked them lightly before adding the wet ingredients in. Again, I was moving fast so I wasn't paying attention too tough since I have a little iPhone and two energetic kids.) stir until mostly cohesive. Don't overmix. Some lumps are ok. The batter should be wet but scoopable. ( I probably should have added just a tad more almond flour.)
4. Line 12 muffin tin with liners or spray the pan. Add about 1/3 of batter into each cup.
5. Bake on the middle rack for about 18-20 minutes. I did 19 minutes at 375 degrees.
6. When done, take out and cool for about 2-5 minutes.
The kids enjoyed them for me not to pay attention to the recipe. I did not add nuts or chocolate to mine because my kids get enough sweets every morning. They also don't like nuts in their muffins. Not because they are allergic but because they are fussy. So, enjoy making these and make sure you have the stuff first. Also, do not follow what I did. Here is her
website to check out the exact recipe. Also, her recipe is printable while mine is not. (I really have to figure that out! Good thing I do not have a lot of followers.)
So, I took a picture of my plate from Thanksgiving. I really put a lot of pressure on myself to shine.
2010- My first year as a vegetarian. I hated it! ( I am not a fan of Tofurkey)
2011- We went to Wisconsin and my godparents had a special menu to include me. I have the best godparents on Earth. If you don't know true godparents let me know in the comments and I can tell you about how wonderful mine are.
2012- Back to godparents house in Wisconsin. I adore their company and I like seeing wild turkeys running around their back yard and around their little lake. I think I saw a deer another year.
2013- Made some vegetarian dishes but just had a baby.
2014- I tried to eat turkey and couldn't do it.
2015- Success! (except for that tofurky- again) But also, hubby's first attempt at making a turkey on his own.
2016- Pregnant and happy making a wonderful and very tasty vegetarian meal
2017- Great Friendsgiving meal! Eating with another vegetarian is the best!
2018- Prepping meal in our suburban apartment, wishing I was back in the city. Not a lot of space.
2019- Off to Louisiana we go! Thank you to my adoptive family for making some vegetarian dishes for me!
2020- TEN YEARS!!! (All the side dishes were vegan, including the homemade desserts.)What have I learned?
1. Vegan and vegetarian cooking is not as difficult as I originally thought.
2. There is more and can be more to the menu besides a turkey-less roast.
3. Poultry seasoning is vegan!
4. If you are going the route of vegan- I recommend Gardein roast. There are a few I have not tried yet.
5. Get a food processor! I had one and we broke it. LOL!
6. The biggest problem? What am I going to cook? There are so many options!
7. I am still tripping on how "cheesy" vegan cheese looks when you make it yourself.
I have had fun with the recipes. When I first got married, I called my mother about cooking. It progressed to my grandmother after she passed. Now, with my lifestyle changes, I reach out to my community of vegans. Chef Babette is my "auntie" in my head. Sweet Potato Soul is that perfect little sister chef. Tabitha Brown is also a sister. Forks over Knives is also a go-to. With the internet and the YouTube community of people cooking and preparing food, it does make it easier. When I first started my vegetarian journey it was difficult and I bought these old cookbooks from the 1980s when vegetarians and vegans ate, I don't know, the grass I guess. Now, we spice up our grass and it looks like all kinds of foods!
My cornbread muffins- OMG! I must make some more!
Collard greens cooking in the pot. No, there is no meat in that pot. There are marinated mushrooms that I had sitting for a day. OMG! These had to be the best greens yet! Sadly, my daughter and I ate them all and he didn't get any. He should have said something. LOL!
Sweet Potato Cheesecake. My husband ate most of this huge piece he cut before he realized he didn't like cheesecake from a long time ago. Well, I may be making it again for Christmas but not with sweet potatoes.
Mac and cheese ( I really have to angle this camera right.) 100% vegan
So, learn spices! Study the texture of your food and the taste because if you go to this blind, you will have a horrible holiday and swear off being vegan. Do I think everyone should go vegan? No. This road is not for everyone but many should join in. Vegetables are something that is misplaced from the standard American diet and should be the front runner as our nation began with vegetables and fruits and nuts. So, find fun ways to eat your veggies. You may not turn vegan but at least you will find a love and appreciation for vegetarians.
Bon appetite
Eclectic Lotus
Comments
Post a Comment