7 Tips to Combat COVID Depression and Anxiety

 Happy commiserating people!


If you are like many people in the world, they are stating that 1 out of 3 people have some form of anxiety or depression due to the pandemic. I have, in my work from home venture, noticed more requests for anti-anxiety and antidepression medication has increased by about 40% roughly. (Please do not quote me on those numbers. This is a rough estimate.)

Here is an article from the CDC on mental health and the pandemic:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/managing-stress-anxiety.html

If you are like our home, it is not a pretty picture. The children are no longer listening and I am pretty sure they are plotting mutiny on me.

So, a great way to combat anxiety and depression is music. Not because I have been known to dance to Celia Cruz in my kitchen while washing dishes and drinking a glass of pink lemonade but really it helps!

How to deal with pandemic depression

So, to sum up with what the above article discusses, here are some steps to combat "pandemic depression"

1. EAT HEALTHY

    Many people are claiming that they have, "Pandemic 15" or "Corona 15". I have not been blessed to have that happen. I have been running, walking, yoga, and chasing the kids around the house.


This is a salad I made using ingredients that I had at home that I needed to eat and make space in my kitchen. It contains radishes, a lentil mix I made a while back, corn, quinoa, red cabbage, pecans, apple cider vinegar, avocado, cilantro, and spinach. Yummy!


2. Exercise

DO SOMETHING! MOVE SOMETHING!!!

3. Music to soothe the savage beast

Get your playlist

4. You got zoom? Skype? FaceTime? Hangouts? You need some human contact!

  If you are at home- phone a friend or family member. Misery loves company so call someone and see how they are doing. You know who could really benefit from that call? The seniors locked away in nursing homes. Sometimes just sitting on the phone saying nothing at all can take a person off the ledge. (Did I forget to mention that suicide is on the rise? I will keep that quiet.)

5. LAUGH!!!!

    Dave Chappelle just did a special during the pandemic. I have been vegging out on SNL classics, In Living Color, and MadTV. Grace and Frankie just released another season if you are into that. I know life sucks. Guess what? You being sad is not going to improve conditions. It is not.


6. GET OFF FACEBOOK!

   Just for a little bit. I usually am on there thinking about what to post but it can be even distracting for me. I post on there that I have a blog with recipes in which people get on to see how to make that dish I posted. I dare you. Want me to do it with you? I'll do it! I swear I will!


7. Appreciate

   Notice everything on your walk, should you choose to do that. Or, on your drive. Look at your car, bike, or anything else. Make sure that you are paying attention and write them in a journal or type it. Hell, if you didn't get off Facebook, post it on there. 

If that doesn't help: here is some "borrowed" information from one of the websites

Read Suicide Help or call 1-800-273-TALK in the U.S. or visit IASP or Suicide.org to find a helpline in your country.

The links to IASP and Suicide.org are active.

My Playlist- as promised:

  • Audioslave "Revelations"
  • Soundgarden "Fell on Black Days"
  • Baby Shark- any sound (for the kids. Yeah.)
  • Lizzo "Juice"
  • Social Club Misfits "Tuyo"
  • Tedashii "Gotta Live"
  • Tye Tribbett " We Gon' Be Alright"
  • Blackway "What's Up Danger"
  • We The Kingdom "Holy Water"
  • Lecrae "Get Back Right"
  • Francesca Battistelli "The Breakup Song" (it is the remix though)
  • Bomba Esterio "Soy yo"
  • Shakira "Loca"
  • Jordan Feliz "Witness"
  • Heart " Baracuda"
  • Vayu, Aastha Gill, Akasa Sing, et al "Naagin"
  • Garry Sandhu " Hauli Hauli"
  • Danny Gokey "If You Ain't In It"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS