Black Vegans and My Journey
I am currently considering myself a Vegan and yes I am a Black woman. If you know anything about Black people and our culture we have been tied to the stereotype that we love chicken. While chicken is delicious I have chosen not to eat it for quite some time. I am making this post not just to have the information out there but also for my nieces that are currently inquiring about going into this lifestyle.
Washington Post Article on African American Vegans
My story begins in the 1990's. I didn't like the taste of pork and decided to give it up. No more ham sandwiches for this girl! As I gave it up it took a while because I had to figure out what had pork in it and what didn't. I found out mock chicken legs was really pork which was unfortunate because I liked it in school with the gravy. Now, I think that sounds disgusting but hey can snub someone's yum! By the late 90's I gave up beef after a discussion with my youngest aunt where I found out that beef can sit on the colon for up to ten years. I thought that was terrible and then just stuck to poultry, fish and shellfish. This went on from 17 years old until about 30 when I finally stopped poultry and only ate fish when I truly craved it. It was then that I considered myself a vegetarian. I did go back to meat throughout that time but it was when I was expecting my son. I craved red meat and not just simple stuff- the meatier the better. After nursing him, I went back to being a vegetarian with me removing fish out of the diet altogether.
Now, currently I am still discovering things about this life direction. I had no idea crescent rolls were vegan?
https://www.delish.com/food-news/a50024/facts-about-pillsbury-crescent-rolls/
(That link also goes into detail about
Washington Post Article on African American Vegans
My story begins in the 1990's. I didn't like the taste of pork and decided to give it up. No more ham sandwiches for this girl! As I gave it up it took a while because I had to figure out what had pork in it and what didn't. I found out mock chicken legs was really pork which was unfortunate because I liked it in school with the gravy. Now, I think that sounds disgusting but hey can snub someone's yum! By the late 90's I gave up beef after a discussion with my youngest aunt where I found out that beef can sit on the colon for up to ten years. I thought that was terrible and then just stuck to poultry, fish and shellfish. This went on from 17 years old until about 30 when I finally stopped poultry and only ate fish when I truly craved it. It was then that I considered myself a vegetarian. I did go back to meat throughout that time but it was when I was expecting my son. I craved red meat and not just simple stuff- the meatier the better. After nursing him, I went back to being a vegetarian with me removing fish out of the diet altogether.
Now, currently I am still discovering things about this life direction. I had no idea crescent rolls were vegan?
https://www.delish.com/food-news/a50024/facts-about-pillsbury-crescent-rolls/
(That link also goes into detail about
If You Want to Start Vegan
![]() |
| Avocado toast- Galentine's Day Brunch 2020 ( Yes, there was eggs and real bacon- all types were there) |
![]() |
| Galentine's Day Brunch. The pancakes are plant based vegan! |
I recommend starting slowly. Begin as a vegetarian and give yourself a date when you are ready to begin being vegan. Just remove meat. I will go further into this as. . . as we all know. . . I am being summoned and it has taken me a while to write just this small amount.
Other foods that you will not believe would be considered Vegan:
Oreo's
Currently, it has been about a month to almost two months of attempting this vegan journey. I have great skin but I am noticing that my skin is getting much more dry around this time of year than usual. I also have more bowel movements- especially when I dig into my "trough" of salad. I really love salad.
I am currently looking up recipes that would be great for soul food but I have been following Sweet Potato Soul and she has some pretty good recipes. I have yet to try them but they look absolutely delish! So, will be burning the midnight oil to get more entries out here about my journey and into what I am cooking and eating.
Enjoy and good luck!
Other foods that you will not believe would be considered Vegan:
Oreo's
Currently, it has been about a month to almost two months of attempting this vegan journey. I have great skin but I am noticing that my skin is getting much more dry around this time of year than usual. I also have more bowel movements- especially when I dig into my "trough" of salad. I really love salad.
![]() |
| Something I put together at last minute- avocado, broccoli, red cabbage, vegan sour cream and meatless crumbles over rice |
![]() |
| Corn on the cob, kale tofu stir fry and Mexican rice |
![]() |
| Chocolate chip cheezecake from The Chicago Diner |
Enjoy and good luck!
Eclectic Lotus





Comments
Post a Comment