Getting the First Kid Ready for the Second Kid, Part 1

So, my nephew and his beautiful wife are going to have a second child. Their first child is about 6 months younger than my son and when they play they are like brothers- when they are together which is very rare because we live in Chicago, IL and they live in Phoenix, AZ.

When they told me over the phone I was excited for them but then I look at my mini tribe. . .the baby was chewing on an old glow bracelet and my son was jumping up and down on the couch screaming how he wanted his tablet to work. ( It shut off due to timing settings I pre-programmed.) So, they waited a little longer than we did to have a second child which I say great! The boy is potty trained and in school and when she takes maternity leave she can be at home caring for her sweet little baby. But, I feel like I have to put this up but most likely they will not heed the warnings. Everyone's path is their own but that second kid though? I must warm and give some sound advice that has been helping me throughout this adventure.

1. When you have just one, you are a bit meticulous about what they can listen to, watch, play and with whom is watching them.

A. When the second one comes around, you tend to let cleaning slide just a bit, they can watch TV at an earlier age, and you pray that they will play together or else you will not get said cleaning completed.

2. When you have one, sometimes you will let the sleep schedule slide. They can stay up a bit longer- but just this one time

A. NOPE! GET TO BED AT 8:00PM. . .NOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!

3. When having the first child, you don't allow too many people to hold your baby. You don't want those evil spirits to possess the baby and you end up raising the next Anti-Christ!

A. "Hey, can you hold this for a moment while I grab some change out of my pocket? What is your name again? Jerry. Nice to meet you Jerry. Hold this real quick."

4. When having only one while pregnant you have energy to still work out, play, hang out with friends, do babymoon's, cutesy baby shower ( I had two with the first one.) and wear adorable maternity clothes.

A. "Oh no! Did Motherhood Maternity send me the wrong size? This top doesn't fit! Erg!" Also, I had an impromptu baby shower all because I was having the opposite sex and the shower was a week before my *little princess* made her arrival. Also, I might have to mention I really didn't go anywhere while pregnant with the second- I had little energy to work out or even go for walks and when I did- KANKLES!

5. When the first baby was born, we went home and family awaited our arrival.

A. I think we sent out announcements for the second but they were online and we never mentioned I had a baby on facebook until a week later but that was us.

6. While pregnant with the first I bought so many clothes for him!

A. While pregnant with the second I bought clothes for her at the end when I found out she was a girl. Then, I had to look through what was left of my son's newborn clothes and decide if it was "gender neutral"or not. She still got to dress up like a boy at times.

So, my advice while carrying the second love child?

1. Get the first born a book- I recommend, "I am going to be a Big Brother" By Joanna Cole and "I Am a Big Brother" By Caroline Church. If he can not read, read it to him every night. Your goal is to keep him excited about the baby coming.

2. Take him to the doctor's office. Let him hear the baby's heart beat. He will be excited about all that is going on.

3. Have him help decorate the new room for the baby.

4. Buy a baby. I never did this but I heard other people did for their first and it helped.

5. Let the upcoming big sibling know that he/she is still loved no matter how many babies you have. Give them hugs daily and express your love for them.

6. Do a "babymoon" with you, your partner and the first child. If there is a good gap in age ( and for my nephew and his wife they will be.) the first child will remember those times.

7. If they are between the ages of 2-5 years old- make them watch that Daniel Tiger episodes where he was getting a new baby in the house. My son loved those things!

(Sorry, there are no links on here because I am writing this at top speed because I have to get to work and change lil baby's diaper. )

Have a great one!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Conjunction- Function: What does it all mean?

Where does the Time go?

Food, Air and Water Show and NAILS